About Us

Making Beauty Products Since 1956.

The official opening of the railway occurred in 1854, when it ran from Prescott all the way to Bytown. When the railway came to Gloucester and the Osgoode Township in the late 1850s, the Village of Manotick Station became highly significant, as it was the first established station. 

The station was a small, two-storey building that consisted of a living quarters, a telegraph station and a post office. The building was owned by the Fitzsimons Family who also operated a general store at the station. In c. 1885, the T.N. Johnson family began to occupy the station, as they ran the post office. 

In the 1870s, the general store at the station was purchased by William Burns, although the T.N. Johnson family continued to inhabit the station until 1922, after Alexander Potvin purchased the store from Burns in c. 1920. At the station, Potvin operated a feed depot, a gas station and the general store.

It was during this period that the store underwent a historical robbery. Potvin had been selling farm implements to his nephew when two masked robbers entered the store. The two Potvins were tied up and looted while being held at gunpoint. While the felons helped themselves to food from the store, Potvin’s nephew managed to work his hands loose and wrestled a revolver from one of the gunmen upon their return. He then chased the looters down the railway tracks with their own gun. 

In the 1870s, the general store at the station was purchased by William Burns, although the T.N. Johnson family continued to inhabit the station until 1922, after Alexander Potvin purchased the store from Burns in c. 1920. At the station, Potvin operated a feed depot, a gas station and the general store.

It was during this period that the store underwent a historical robbery. Potvin had been selling farm implements to his nephew when two masked robbers entered the store. The two Potvins were tied up and looted while being held at gunpoint. While the felons helped themselves to food from the store, Potvin’s nephew managed to work his hands loose and wrestled a revolver from one of the gunmen upon their return. He then chased the looters down the railway tracks with their own gun. 

In the late 1920s, the original building was replaced by the Kemptville railway station house. 

During the prohibition era, Manotick Station played a key role in the exportation of moonshine. The village was known as the Pokey Moonshine settlement and it was a great exporter of “tea.” 

After the prohibition and the wartime period, The Bakker family purchased the general store in the 1960s and has operated it ever since. It is now run by Henry Bakker and his family, and it is located right next to the Third World Bazaar, which is operated by his brother, Dick Bakker.

Subscribe Our Newsletter.

If we have any updates or notices you will be the first to know!